Sunday, August 29, 2010

"It started with an online relationship between the teacher and the child of some sort,” Harrington said, “and so you are seeing district after district establish guidelines about what is appropriate use and inappropriate use of Facebook and whether they should text children or not."

Miss Algier has the most magnificent legs I’ve ever seen. She looks nothing like the women in the magazines. Every day in the spring she wears a skirt just short of the knee and a button down shirt tucked in. She often sits on the desk when she’s reading to us from novels or short stories. She never wears tights of any kind and I love to watch her legs crossed, part, and then cross again. I never see anything else, but I don’t need to. One day a Gargamel-looking character interrupts the class and asks to speak to me in the hallway. I’ve never seen him before. Out in the hallway he tells me I have a speech impediment and that every week, on a rotating schedule, I’m going to visit him in the disability center. In the disability center is an aggressive Mexican kid and an overweight Polish girl. We struggle through sentences in order to win prizes. After several weeks I win a blue pencil with a Buffalo Bills helmet eraser. This is the same year Norwood kicks wide right. Leslie Evans makes me fight a kid who smells like sausage. It’s the year I give the finger to a def kid and convince my homeroom teacher he was mistaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment