Wednesday, October 6, 2010

“I don’t believe that this is a vicious dog from what she tells me,” Durfee said. “I believe the police are overreacting.”

I’ve been asked to read at The Dog Ears Bookstore
But I keep wanting to place an apostrophe
between the r and s of ears.  But when I think
about the dog ears being
in possession of the bookstore
it makes me more curious
as to why the ears
and not its teeth and paws. 
To make matters worse,
I cannot even imagine teeth and paws
because I don’t imagine the ears
themselves have any body,
or even limitation
that would require a body.  Finally,
if there are dog ears
in possession of a bookstore,
what is their relationship? 
Are they siblings,
a parent and child,
two lovers drawn toward the same sound? 
I prefer to think of them
as two children
climbing toward a point of intersection
the sun at their backs,
others throwing stones,
and the sounds
of branches receding
underneath their tentative weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment