Monday, October 4, 2010

“This one’s incredibly Christmassy. That’s true of the previous ones but I wanted to go for broke. It’s easily the most Christmassy thing you’ll ever see. It’s a huge, sentimental, lovely, jeopardy-driven story. It’s the Christmas special I’d like to see. It’s like a compilation of every Christmas movie. A big Christmas treat. But that doesn’t mean it’s without scares, and that doesn’t mean it’s without heartbreak. It has genuine tragedy in it.”

My earliest memory begins with macaroni
and cheese and beans
and not wanting to eat the beans
and being forced to eat the beans. 
Mr. Bob and his dramatic mustache
captivated class
under his six foot frame.
After that,
I shit my pants in front of everyone
and showed the prettiest girl in class
my pipe cleaner muscles and my clicking wrist. 
She comes over just before Christmas
and helps my family decorate the tree. 
My mother hands her tinsel
and we listen to the California Raisins
singing Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer. 
My father walks out with a video camera
and Christopher leaps in front of it
waving his hand like he is casting a spell
shouting “hello” with a wide mouth. 
I force him to the ground
and his body collapses
against the hardwood floor.  Everyone laughs. 
Julie holds up a golden
spray-painted
noodle wreath and asks me
if it is the same golden
spray-painted
noodle wreath I made
for my holiday project
as if there were
suspicions
of other wreaths
of other women
of other Christmas trees
before the one we dressed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment